Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The universe is cruel and Bekins is incompetent...

It was a long day today and so when I wearily walked up my steps I was cautious to find a box on my front stoop. Then a gasp... wait I had a box Bekins lost during my move. Then I went to hopeful and dropped my stuff before I even opened the door and was on my knees opening the box with a FedEx label from Mississippi....

My heart sank as I realized that not only was it not my stuff, but there was no note, no communication from the company (so not a shock- I mean really you have to read back to the begining of January to remember how silly it got) and really I had given up on the box and even the momentary hope was hard to come down from. 

So now I had a box of someone else's personal items- photos, a bible, an angel figurine, and more personal things that were keepsakes of a family member remembering someone gone. So given a box of personal effects with no information of where it came from or who it was going to... how long does it take to finding the most likely owner?  Total around 45 minutes- 1 email, 3 phone calls, and a number of google searches later I figured out the box was from the mom's estate that one of the kids was shipping by following a few clues. 

I mean yes, I know I could just call Bekins- the moving company that totally miscommunicated to whoever sent this to me what I am looking for (not a single scrapbook with newspaper clippings, pencil art drawings, or art history book) and did not apparently look hard enough to find the name to send  it to the correct person. At this point it's a mission- I want this person to get thier things. If I don't get my things at least someone can be reunited with sentimental items. 

Advice for those moving- put your address in the box, write it on the box, and then put a unique color tape across the box. If you have 2 or 3 boxes you really want to get... prioritize them and then FedEx them- keep in mind FedEx uses barcodes and scanners while moving companies use little stickers. So right now we have my move touching San Diego, CA- Denver, CO- Minnneapolis MN- San Jose, CA- Philidelphia, PA- Jackson, MS- and antidoticaly Iowa, New Mexico, and the  story is not over yet... I should map it...

No comments:

Post a Comment