Wednesday, October 28, 2009

A small town...

So what defines a small town? It's walking down the street and realizing that people store their cut firewood in the alley accessible to all- oh and tools are stored outside. It's the fact that random people wave at you as you walk down the street. Heck I went into a post office and there was a bell to ring for service... no one to watch over the counter because they were busy out back. And the Post Office really is on Main Street. It's the small coffee shop that accepts only cash (though I must say there are plenty of places like that in Point Loma where I grew up).

It is a different reality in a small town. People notice as you walk down the street and talk to you exuding a vibe I am not accustomed to. I have to say I know I'm used to moving faster and sometimes my impatience slips through. There is not a single chain restaurant in town that I've found. The railroad tracks go through the center of town and the BPOE lodge was built in the late 1800s and stands just as firm built in rock.

It's a different place, pace, world and I am privileged to get to experience it for a week....

No comments:

Post a Comment